Cohiba Black Corona (5.5x42)

One of the fun things about journaling the cigars I smoke is the ability to look back at my notes and accompanying pictures and remembering a specific experience.  This is a great example of what I am talking about, the Cohiba Black Corona (5.5x42) that I'm featuring here today was actually enjoyed by me back in March, but due to my life going on it's taking me this long to get around to posting my review of this fantastic little cigar.

I got this cigar from a buddy of mine who owns Motor City Cigars in Detroit having come highly recommended by him.  The first thing you'll notice if you have a chance to smoke this cigar is the fact that it is BLACK.  The picture above really doesn't do the cigar justice in showing not only how dark the wrapper is, but just how well constructed it is.  I'd actually had this cigar in my humidor for a little over a year prior to actually smoking it, primarily because it is a little smaller than what I normally smoke.  I tend to avoid cigars that are less than a 50 ring gauge and at 42, this is definitely small for what I prefer.  The other reason I held off on smoking this cigar was based on my buddy bragging on how good a cigar it is, I figured a little age on it couldn't hurt, and most likely would help enhance the flavor.

The evening I finally lit this cigar up saw temperatures in the mid 70's, not bad for a March evening in Middle Tennessee, of course we had a vey warm winter so nights like this weren't the rarity it may seem.  I punched the head and toasted the foot drawing on it after it was fully lit.  The Maduro wrapper immediately offered up a warm bread flavor with a very pronounced hazelnut on the finish.  Very bold, but smooth.

I was reminded of the Cain Maduro that I've smoked in the past, but not with the strength of boldness that the Cain has, but this was truly a fantastic cigar.  The ash I show in the picture above is actually about 1/2" short of the final length before it finally fell, a indication of how well the cigar was put together.

The sad thing about the cigar was how fast it was gone, but that partially is attributed to the fact that I smoked it like a big cigar, and since it is such a small cigar it just got consumed faster.  I blew through this cigar in about 25 minutes, and I am not a fast cigar smoker at all.

The flavor started to add some additional elements as it got into the halfway point hinting at some raisin overtones with a slight pepper that started to be noted on the finish, a taste that would get slightly stronger as the cigar was enjoyed.

This was a great cigar, and I literally smoked it to the end with about 1" left before I finally let it expire. This cigar was so good, it's actually on my short list of cigars I will smoke again, however I am going to try out some of the larger sizes offered, I'm eyeballing the 6x54 Supremo that is currently being made.

This is a strong cigar, but not overpowering.  I think taken in moderation it is a cigar even a novice can enjoy without too much worry, and I think this cigar can serve as a great gateway cigar introducing a newer smoker to a fuller flavor experience without knocking them off their feet.

Sadly, as I stated earlier this cigar was gone almost as quick as it started, but left in its place is a memory of a great cigar enjoyed while spending time with my wife and kids.  As I often do, I take the band off as the cigar reaches the halfway point, and my daughter used the band as a "ring" on her little fingers.  I'd encourage you to give this cigar a smoke, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Until we smoke again...

Comments

Popular Posts