Rocky Patel Nording (Toro Grande 5x58)


In my last entry I mentioned the Rocky Patel sitting in my humidor and this is that cigar.  A Rocky Patel Nording Toro Grande 5x58 that I had the pleasure to enjoy the other evening while we sat in the backyard and the kids ran around.  I posted 2 pictures, the first showing the ash that got to almost 2 inches prior to falling, the second pic was my first picture I took and my son insisted his hand be part of the picture, so there it is, my son Ethan's 6-year old hand helping his dad frame the perfect lit cigar shot for this blog I write on here.

This was a big flavor cigar that at times left me a little lightheaded, but it was a very enjoyable cigar.  After getting it lit, the initial taste was very strong and bold, bitter black coffee was my first impression, but the initial bitter that I noted very quickly diminished and settled into a relatively smooth but strong taste.  There are hints of pepper on the finish and some notes of leather worked their way into the taste profile as well.

It may just be me, but this cigar seemed to get stronger the deeper into the stick I got, and on several occasions the black coffee I noted seemed to take on a slightly burnt taste.  It reminded me of coffee that has sat in a coffee maker for hours with the heating element on, but not enough liquid to heat thereby causing a burnt taste.  It wasn't a bad thing per se, but certainly isn't a taste I look for when choosing my cigars.

The construction of the cigar was excellent, Rocky Patel I think puts together the world's best constructed cigars, the wrapper was flawless, the cap beautiful, and the length of ash I was able to achieve spoke to how well the leaves were bound to create this cigar.

I made the comment that the cigar left me a little lightheaded, something that doesn't happen too often, especially considering I was coming off a fairly stout dinner of meatball sandwiches that I had made for the family.

I started off drinking some iced tea and it was of no offense to the cigar, but my wife managed to crack open a bottle of red wine and pour herself a glass which she shared with me, and honestly the cigar really was complimented by the red wine, so I ended up smoking the cigar with the red for the better part of the evening.

I noticed that the deeper into the stick I got, the stronger and more defined the pepper on the finish became.  The pepper really reminded me of a black table style pepper, and on one draw it actually made my nose tickle to the point that I thought I was going to sneeze.  Thankfully I didn't, but the pepper was a flavor that hung around throughout this cigar.

I smoked this cigar for about an hour and the time came to take the kids inside and get them ready for bed.  I could easily have smoked for another 15-20 minutes, but time was getting away from us.  The cigar burnt evenly and needed only one minor touchup right after I ashed the first time, most likely caused by knocking off a portion of the cherry.

While this was a good cigar and one that I enjoyed, it's not a cigar I'll probably buy again.  There are cigars I smoke that I look forward to smoking again and again, and this cigar is not one of the those cigars.  That doesn't mean it's bad or that I didn't enjoy it, it just wasn't one that knocked it out of the park for me, and as such is not a cigar I actively seek out again to smoke.

Does that mean you shouldn't give it a try?  Of course not, cigars like wine are about finding what you enjoy and then seeking options that fit the bill as far as your tastes are concerned.  If what I described above makes you want to try it, TRY IT, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  It is a good smoke and an incredible value for the money, this stick only cost me around $7, and at that price point it is a value especially considering the care that went into making it.

As for me, I'm off to California for a few days, going to try to check out some cigar bars out there and hopefully bring back some new stories to share with you.  Until I return though I encourage you to go out and find a cigar and share your experience.  Use the comment area below if you want, and of course if you find something you think I should be trying, by all means share it with me as well and I will try to find your recommendation and give it a smoke.

Until we smoke again...

Comments

Popular Posts