Diamond Crown Maximus Double Robusto No.6 (5x56)



I'll admit it, I'm pining for an audience bigger than what I currently have.  Don't get me wrong, those of you who humor me by stopping by and reading my ramblings are truly appreciated, but darn it, I want more.  Don't we all?  Isn't more what it's all about.  More of this and more of that.  When I left Florida and my sister's house last month I wanted more time to spend with her and my brother in law.  The fact that they've become cigar smokes making several trips over to the Corona Cigar Company to procure more smokes excites me, but makes me sad at the same time as I'm not there to enjoy a good smoke with them.

Of course, the good news is they'll be visiting on a whirlwind trip in December, so I'm confident we'll find time to enjoy at least one cigar together while they are here.  However, while we are on the subject of more, today's cigar becomes an item that I want more of.  The Diamond Crown Maximus Double Robusto No.6 (5x56) was picked up a few weeks ago while I was in California visiting some business clients I have.  My brother in law and I went out in search of a decent cigar bar and stumbled upon a cigar store that had one heck of a humidor.  Maxamar Ultimate Cigars is where I picked up the Diamond Crown Maximus Double Robusto No.6, and although a bunch of guys where sitting around in the front of the shop smoking cigars, no food or drink was available so we elected to seek out other places to sit, drink and for me to enjoy a cigar.

California is one of those ridiculous states with so many restrictive laws, finding a suitable location was impossible so we ended up at a small bar near his house, had a few drinks and he went home and I went to play poker into the wee hours of the morning.  For the record, I came home with more money than I went with, all thanks to my masterful skills at no limit Texas Hold'em.

Now, back to the cigar.  

The DCMDR (my fingers are tired already from typing out the full name) promptly went into the humidor upon my return home from California, and last week saw an opportunity present itself wherein I'd get to sit outside and enjoy a smoke while the kids played in the yard.  For the record, last week also saw me start an extremely aggressive weight loss / life style change as I work to get back to lighter, healthier, more fit me.  In a way, the cigar was my reward for a first successful week in that journey.  I've gone cold turkey on the Coca-Cola intake, Coke has always been my nemesis, it's like heroin in my blood stream, no wimpy diet or Coke Zero for me, nope, I'm a full bore kind've guy who easily consumes 3-4 cans a day.  Going cold turkey has been hard, but the results will be worth it.

The DCMDR was punched and the foot lightly toasted.  The initial tasting was of a spicy pepper, but with some hints of oak and leather on the finish.  I think a portion of that initial spicy pepper can be attributed to the fact that the cigar was burning really hot initially as it took a few attempts to get a really even burn across the foot which meant a lot more exposure to flame than what I normally prefer.  The spicy pepper was gone within a minute or three however, replaced with a well defined cinnamon spice on the finish.

The oak and leather lent itself to a very dry smoke, I was thirsty throughout the entire cigar, however this was not a bad or undesirable trait at all.  As the ash started forming, a very distinct raisin started to develop, and honestly it was quite nice as it balanced perfectly with the cinnamon spice I was picking up on the tail end of each draw.  The DCMDR was not sweet, it was the subtle nuances in the smoke giving off those impressions, and it was very enjoyable.

I started this post by stating I wanted more, and honestly I wanted more of this smoke.  I found myself drawing on it every 20-30 seconds versus every 45-60 seconds as I normally draw, it's as if I couldn't get enough of it, and the truth be told I couldn't.  

As the cigar passed the halfway mark, it picked up some strength to it.  It was getting stronger and the supposed "sweet spot" you'll hear about introduced some real strength and boldness.  The only way I could describe it to you is as such, go take a good long inhale of cinnamon into your nostrils and then exhale.  That sensation was something the cigar was offering up, but again it wasn't overpowering or detracting in any way from the cigar.

This truly was a great cigar.  I smoke it down to the nub, and even then it pained me to put it down as I wanted more.  Had I had another of the same cigar in the humidor I would've gone to get it and started the process all over again.

It was bold, it was spicy, and it was distinct.  Definitely a cigar I'd smoke again.  Which brings me to the price point.  This cigar cost me $12 in California.  I have not seen it on a retail shelf here in TN yet, so I don't have a comparison to show how much the tobacco taxes are out there.  The guy at the cigar shop apologized for the pricing being so high, he blamed California taxes and he's probably right.  At $12 this is a special occasion cigar, not one that can make it into my regular routine, however it in TN it is only a $6-7 cigar, it certainly will become a regular smoke for me.  I'll have to do more research to find out for sure what the price is locally.

Either way though, I'm glad I had a chance to give this cigar a smoke, I've read numerous articles about Diamond Crown Maximus cigars, and now I can contribute an article myself and make my suggestion to you that if you get a chance and your wallet will allow it, give this cigar a try.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Until we smoke again...

Comments

Popular Posts